Click here for the Pharmacy Residency Programs page.
The Ochsner Medical Center PGY-2 Residency in Internal Medicine is an ASHP-accredited year-long program that provides a motivated resident with a diverse experience in caring for internal medicine patients and honing their didactic teaching skills. The resident will have the chance to gain experience working with resident teaching services, attending physician only services, work on a co-managed Medicine-Hepatology service for pre-liver transplant patients, and precept students from Xavier College of Pharmacy. Our broad range of electives allows the resident to gain experience in other areas of pharmacy that they may have interest. Ochsner’s variety of pharmacy practice areas will help the PGY-2 resident become proficient in a broad range of topics and develop their own practice style to become a successful clinical pharmacy specialist or clinical faculty at a college of pharmacy.
The primary training site for the program is Ochsner Medical Center a 473-bed acute care hospital serving the surrounding New Orleans area. Ochsner is dedicated to excellence in patient care, education, and research. This mission has been intricately entwined throughout all aspects of the Health System. Ochsner is one of the largest non-university based physician training centers. The Ochsner Health System pharmacy is a state-of-the-art facility with the latest technologies. Pharmacists are integrally involved in all aspects of patient care.
| || |
Core Projects and Responsibilities:
- Research Project
- Resident will be provided a list of research topics to choose from at which point they will develop a protocol, submit to the Institutional Review Board (IRB), collect data, present their research at ALCALDE, and complete a publishable manuscript. The resident will work under the mentorship of a preceptor to enhance the resident’s skills in study design, data collection, data analysis and results reporting. The resident will also present a poster at the annual LSHP meeting.
- Continuing Education Presentation
- Resident will present one 60-minute formal continuing education presentation in the fall of their resident year for the pharmacy department.
- Case Presentation
- Resident will present a 60-minute formal case presentation in the spring of their resident year for the pharmacy department.
- Physician Lecture Series
- Resident will present one 20-minute pharmacotherapy topic to Internal Medicine resident physicians.
- Journal Club
- Resident will present one journal club per year to the pharmacy department.
- Resident will round every 3rd weekend with the post-call medicine team as well as complete admission medication reconciliations.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Health and Wellness Program
- Discounted gym membership
- 15 days of vacation & 6 holidays
- A resident may not be absent from a rotation for >5 days, except to fulfill program-required leave
- $45,000/year stipend
Application & Eligibility Requirements:
- Graduate of an accredited College/School of Pharmacy
- Eligible for licensure to practice pharmacy in the State of Louisiana
- Successful completion of a PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency
- Letter of intent
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
Residency Program Director:
Nicole Fabre’-LaCoste, PharmD, BCPS, BCGP
Assistant Director of Pharmacy – Medication Use, Safety and Education
Residency Program Director, PGY 2 Internal Medicine Residency
Ochsner Medical Center-New Orleans