Click here for the Pharmacy Residency Programs page.
The Ochsner Medical Center PGY-2 Residency in Solid Organ Transplant is an ASHP-Accredited year-long program that provides the resident advanced pharmacotherapy training to a diverse population of transplant recipients and mechanical circulatory support patients.
As an integral member of the multidisciplinary team, the resident will learn to optimize medication therapy for patients through both the pre- and post-transplant phases. Participation in patient care will occur in the acute and ambulatory settings, with daily opportunities for direct patient interaction, including education of patients and their caregivers.
Ochsner Health System is dedicated to excellence in patient care, education and research. This mission has been intricately entwined throughout all aspects of the Health System. Ochsner is one of the largest non-university based physician training centers. The Ochsner Health System pharmacy is a state-of-the-art facility with the latest technologies. Pharmacists are integrally involved in all aspects of patient care.
| || |
Annual Transplant Numbers:
- ~ 150 Kidney Transplants
- ~ 220 Liver Transplants
- ~ 30 Lung Transplants
- ~ 30 Heart Transplants
- ~ 15 Pancreas Transplants
- ~ 75 Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVADs)
Core Projects and Responsibilities:
- Research Project
- Resident will be provided with a list of research topics to choose from which they will develop a protocol, submit to the Institutional Review Board (IRB), collect data, present their research at the American Transplant Congress (ATC), and complete a publishable manuscript.
- Continuing Education Presentation
- Resident will present one 60-minute formal continuing education presentation in the fall for the pharmacy department.
- Case Presentation
- Resident will present 60-minute formal case presentation throughout their residency to the transplant team.
- Journal Club
- Resident will present journal clubs throughout their residency to the pharmacy department and the transplant team.
- Resident will gain experience learning autonomy within the transplant team by staffing as the transplant clinical pharmacist every other weekend.
- Resident will also be required to staff one Ochsner observed holiday.
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Health & Wellness Programs
- Discounted Gym Memberships
- 15 vacation days & 8 holidays
- $45,000/yr stipend
- Graduate of an accredited College/School of Pharmacy
- Eligible for licensure to practice pharmacy in the State of Louisiana
- Licensed in the State of Louisiana before the program begins or shortly thereafter
- Successful completion of a PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency
The following materials should be submitted via the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application System (PHORCAS) by the middle of January.
- Submit a letter of interest
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Residency Program Director:
Ushma P. Kaszubski , PharmD, BCPS
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Abdominal Transplant
Ochsner Medical Center – New Orleans