Outpatient Cardiac Rehab Program at Ochsner
According to the American Heart Association, fewer than 20% of all eligible patients nationwide participate in a cardiac rehabilitation program – even though cardiac rehab can reduce the likelihood of hospital readmissions by 25%, and patients who participate in a cardiac rehabilitation program reduce their risk of mortality by over 50% (compared with those patients who do not participate).
As part of the renowned John Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute (JOHVI), our cardiac rehab team is determined to increase the participation of all patients in the Greater New Orleans area. We’re here to give you the tools you need to take charge of your life – to stay out of the hospital and be a healthier, happier you.
Participating in Medically Supervised Cardiac Rehab Can:
- Reduce the need for hospital stays and emergency room visits
- Decrease blood pressure and improve cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Reduce shortness of breath and fatigue
- Increase exercise tolerance
- Reduce stress, anxiety and depression
- Lead to weight loss (when combined with a balanced diet)
Who Benefits from Our AACVPR* Accredited Program?
You may be a candidate for our program if you are not more than a year out from your cardiac event. Our program benefits those who have or have had the following conditions:
- Heart attacks
- Stable angina
- Valve replacement
- Coronary artery bypass
- Coronary Stent placements
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Heart failure (depending on the severity- criteria for eligibility. Ask if you are eligible)
*American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Cardiac Rehab: Phase 1
Phase 1 of our program occurs during your hospital stay and consists of a visit from a cardiac rehab nurse. Together, you will review your diagnosis, discuss the benefits of your participation in Phase 2 of our program, and go over any questions or concerns you may have about the risks of exercise. Before participating in Phase 2, your doctor will need to place an order.
Cardiac Rehab: Phase 2
Our 36-session program meets in one of three Ochsner Cardiac Rehab locations in the area, three times a week for 12 weeks. Your rehab session will consist of an exercise and educational component. Educational sessions will cover subjects such as Heart Disease and Emotions, Weight Management, Dining Out, What Comes After Phase 2 and more.
Get ready for your warm up! Three times a week, you will participate in a monitored exercise class, customized to your level of capability. You will learn how to exercise safely and improve your muscle strength and endurance. A cardiologist will be on-site at all times, giving you the confidence you need to workout with peace of mind.
Your exercise prescription will be based on your fitness level as determined by a lab test and a cardiopulmonary stress test (CPX). As you get stronger, your exercise physiologist will modify your program. At the completion of the 36 weeks, your tests will be repeated and reviewed by our team to determine your progress.
Patients appreciate the flexibility of our program and the frequency of our classes. You will exercise for an hour, warming up with fellow class members, and rotating to a new piece of equipment every 20 minutes. Your routine will include strengthening exercises and a warm down. For your convenience, facilities offer showers and lockers.
To help you understand your heart condition and find ways to reduce your risk of future heart problems, our program includes education, counseling and training. Our cardiac rehab team will help you learn how to cope with the stress of adjusting to a new lifestyle and to deal with your fears about the future.
You will learn:
- About your heart condition, medical therapies, and medications
- Risk factors in your lifestyle contributing to heart disease
- New strategies to modify your risk factors
- About a healthy diet that can lower your blood cholesterol, control weight, help prevent or control high blood pressure, and diabetes
- How to manage stress
- How to stop smoking
After Rehab: What’s Next
Your healthy lifestyle won’t stop after your 36 sessions are completed. After the program, you can enroll in another fitness program such as those available at Ochsner Fitness Center, including the Medical Fitness Program. You may also enjoy working with a personal trainer.
Meet the Cardiac Rehab Team
You’re not in this alone. The Cardiac Rehab team at Ochsner is the most experienced of its kind in the region. Many members have been with the program since its inception twenty years ago. All members have a minimum of five years of experience.
- On-Site Cardiologists – Able to respond in case of emergency
- ACLS Certified Nurses – Experienced in all heart-related conditions
- Masters Prepared Exercise Physiologists – This rehab expert will setup your exercise prescription, check to make sure you are training properly and assess your progression.
- Masters Prepared Dieticians – Eating right can be a challenge in New Orleans but it is key to your success. Our dietician team will teach you what you need to know to make smart choices at home and on the go. Our Metairie facility even has a kitchen for healthy cooking demonstration and testing. Along with lectures, you will meet with the dietician on a one-on-one basis.
The Cardiac Rehab Program at Ochsner accepts referrals from other hospitals in the region. Because our patients come from all around the world, we help find the best programs close to their homes. Locally, we also work with Xavier to help patients on Medicaid receive the cardiac rehab care they deserve. To make a referral or for more information, call 504-842-4168.
Metairie – Cardiac Rehab
2005 Veterans Memorial Blvd.
Metairie, LA 70002
Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Last class starts at 4:30 p.m.
St. Charles Parish Hospital – Cardiac Rehab
1057 Paul Maillard Road
Luling, LA 70070
Monday, Wednesday & Friday , hours vary, call for details.
St. Tammany Parish Hospital – Cardiac Rehab
16300 Highway 1085
Covington, LA 70433
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.